Fort Meyers Beach

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Stuck in Mackinaw City Again

We arrived in Mackinaw City on Thursday, it is now Tuesday and we are experiencing are second weather day. Gale warnings (ie. winds between 39-54 mph) have been posted for the past 2 days. Waves are 5-8 ft. Golfers would have seen the earlier, lesser wind conditions while watching the PGA Championship at Whistling Straits on the western shore of Lake Michigan. We are across the lake from there and since the winds were coming out of the west, the worse waves were on our side of the Lake. When things become more pleasant we will head for Harbor Springs in Little Traverse Bay along with about 5 other Loopers. Yes, we not only met our first fellow Looper but we also met Loopers who we knew or had met at the Fall Rendezvous last year in Alabama.

The biggest surprise was Monday morning. I was sitting at the galley table sipping my coffee as usual, Linda was still asleep as usual and I was preparing to write this update when I heard this boat coming into the harbor. I had to get up to see what idiots were out in these horrible conditions. OMG, the id//// nice boaters where Scott and Marlene from our old marina, Crysler Park on the St. Lawrence River near Ottawa. We discovered that they decided to do the Loop and had left Mackinac Island earlier that morning with the intention of getting to Harbor Springs. They wisely abandoned that plan when they realized how sloppy the conditions were. We have been catching up ever since.

Another couple of Loopers came in on Sunday and wouldn't you know it, we sat with two of them, Richard and Pam, for one of the sessions at last year's rendezvous. It is a small world....at least when you are not on one of the Great Lakes in 5-8 footers. Also here is a trawler from Mobile, AL and an aft cabin from Houston, TX. We feel that we have now officially joined the Looper experience.

For those following behind us (and Chris and Gerry who never asked) our favourite place to eat is the Keyhole Bar. The bakery has great cookies and if you like people watching, the Caboose is the place to grab a beer. Ocean Breeze if you do decide to come to Mackinaw City there is a new harbor called the Straits State Harbor. We checked it out with our dinghy, after our visit to the beach, and it is very impressive. Nice long slips with plenty of room between the finger docks.

I have a few more chores that I want to get done even though I have been unusually handy these past few days. Minor stuff but we have avoided some costly calls for help. I miss the helpful, knowledgeable gang from Westport. Our cocktail hour discussions solved many issues and provided some good advice. I got the fresh water pump going again, patched another tear in the dinghy cover, mounted a flagpole (with mismatching components) for the AGLCA and TIYC (Thousand Islands Yacht Club) burgees and reorganized our storage. We need to get more organized. I got everything stowed onboard but it takes me forever to find anything and I have discovered I am going through the same search pattern for every little project. I am starting to make lists; under the master stateroom bed ....., engine room...., cockpit storage area......, etc, etc.

Had enough for today?? so have I.
Until next time.

Tom and Linda

2 comments:

  1. There's another Looper there that I have been following...the boat's name is Breaking Away. BTW, I need to do what you are doing...I can't find a darn thing !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Thanks for the heads up on the marina. We will certainly look it up. We do plan to stop in Mackinaw city.

    ReplyDelete