Fort Meyers Beach

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Good Times at the IVY Club

(Wednesday Aug 29 to Tuesday Sept 4)


The Illinois Valley Yacht Club, what a great club.  The members have welcomed us and encouraged us to participate in all of their Holiday Weekend activities.  One of the highlights has been the Pig Roast.

  
I arranged this specifically for my bride of 40 years.  I had to do the carving but she was impressed. In fact, everyone had so much fun that Bob and Pam offered to do it again for us next year. ..... Well I am just kidding but only about the arrangements.  Every year a group of members roast a pig.  It takes 24 hours and I must say that they look after it with tender loving care ...or at least they stay with it all night hanging around the camp fire re-filling coolers as necessary.  The pulled pork was superb.  I would love to mention everyone but I am afraid that I might miss someone.  Tim, I know that you would feel bad if you were not mentioned, so thank you for including us.

This year was even more challenging than most.  Isaac hit during the preparations and continued until just before it was time to take it off the fire.  It rained throughout Saturday and off and mostly on throughout the night.  At one point on Saturday, the tornado warning sirens sounded as we were under a tornado watch.  I heard that one did touch down about 30 miles north of us.  Anyway, the effort was certainly worth it.  Great fun and oh so tasty. 
On Labour Day was another event: the cardboard boat race.  The entries were unbelievable and the place was packed.  Different groups and even other boat clubs put a lot of time and thought into their entries.  Click on the pictures to enlarge them.  





The Start

The Finish

The Slow Poke but well ahead of the Titanic which sunk shortly after the start.
Linda and I really want to thank all of the members of the Illinois Valley Yacht Club for making it such a wonderful weekend for us; For including us in their activities, for lending us a car, for being so darn friendly and for showing up to see us off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment