Fort Meyers Beach

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Frankfort, MI

No pics today; we cannot find a battery for the camera.  It is too bad to because outside of this harbor is Point Betsie which has cliffs of sand; hugh, I mean high, sand dunes all along the coast. 

There was a fishing tournament here this weekend and the number of large salmon and lake trout were unbelieveable.  It was nothing for a boat to catch 6-8 fish weighing in over 100 lbs and unlike bass tournaments, they kept the fish and cleaned them at the dock or took them to the fish shop.  More excellent fresh fish and smoked fish.  We are eating some kind of fish every day and it is fantastic.  We thought that the smoked lake trout was very good from Bell's Fishery in Mackinaw City but the smoked lake trout was twice as good from Carlson's in Leland.  Every happy hour we seem to get a whitefish pate from the local fishery and that is becoming a habit.  We don't always buy some ourselves but there have been a number of us Loopers that have been taking turns hosting a cocktail get together every evening at 5:30.  I'm in trouble, I am still in the habit of stopping for the 4 PM cocktail hour that Westport Marina instilled into me and then I have to get ready for the next one.  Life is grand.

We just got back from the beach with the dinghy again.  The water is still crystal clear and fairly warm but here the sand is oh so pleasant; not a stone or a weed anywhere.  For lunch, we seem to want to have a drink and some food each time we arrive.  I think it is because we travel for so long (for example, today we travelled 4.5 hours to do the 42 mile distance.)   Anyway, the clam strips were superb, the boiled shrimp excellent and the calamari good and the bar had the draft beer that I have adopted, Siren Indian Pale Ale.  Now if the town only had some camera batteries one would be tempted to stay another day. 

I decided to fuel up today even though I still had a half a tank.  Prices are getting better, $2.91 /gal compared to the $3.15 I pay in Detroit.... and I have no idea what a liter would cost in Canada any more, other than too much.  I need my CPA and engineering friends to help me here.  For the previous fill up, prior to restraint, we travelled 243 miles on 289 gals for a .84 mpg average.  This time we travelled 210 miles on 202 gal for a 1.03 mpg avg.  Obviously more efficient but is it worth it??   Thinking out loud for every 400 gal tank of fuel, I can go 336 miles at 22 mph or 412 miles at 10.5 mph.  The 76 extra miles saves approx  74 gal of fuel or roughly $200.  Dam, I guess my days will be a little longer.  The good thing though, with Otto driving Linda does not mind taking her fair share of watches so I can get a little shut eye now and then.

Life is grand.

2 comments:

  1. Sleeping at the switch, eh? We've found that with Otto at the switch, we can even take showers! If I could get Todd to let me run Genny, I could get some vacuuming and laundry done between ports, as well...but then, that would ruin our diesel consumption average, wouldn't it :-( We're in Mac City right now. Hope to go to Charlevoix Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary....38 years is double life with no time off for good behaviour....Glad to hear about the travels and pictures...been lacking lately and how are we going to live vacariously through your exploits if you don't get a new battery or break down and buy a new camera soon..LOL LOL. Enjoy the life it sounds wonderful..

    ReplyDelete