Fort Meyers Beach

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Leland, MI

Within 15 minutes of arriving in Leland this was the view from our table at The Cove restaurant.  btw, the seafood chowder is excellent.  

This section right by the marina is called "Fish Town" and has authentic shanties from earlier days.    They are now speciality shops for the tourist but very neat none the less.  There is still much fishing going on and we have been availing ourselves to both fresh and smoked lake trout each day. 

I broke down on the trip over from Charlevoix; I got tired of the 2-3 foot waves hitting us on the beam and rolling us back and forth so I brought Q up on plane for the last 11 miles and skimmed into harbor in less than 30 minutes.  It was only 11 miles so I am still showing some restraint.

Other good news, I got the NAV portion on Otto (remember 'auto' pilot) working finally.  Now I can enter a waypoint or even a route into my chartplotter and have Otto steer the course for us.  This is all new for me that is why it excites me so.  The problem was that the proper Raymarine plug adapter was no longer available so I had to juri rig the connection.  I could not find the proper size connectors for the chart plotter so had to juri rig those as well.  Once that was done I connected them to the 2 leads that George had left out of the autopilot processor and voila it worked the first time, sort of.  The quirk was that when Otto corrected for a XTE (cross track error) he went the wrong way.  After reading the documentation I discovered that there is no standard for XTE so ComNav smartly had a simple fix for that eventually.  Everything is working fine now.

Bad news, the Leland Country Club would not allow Linda and I to play golf.  I guess the size of your boat means dick all to a golfer.

We have had to take another weather day.  The waves were 4-7 dropping to 3-5 later today, Saturday.  We and a fleet of other boats hope to get out on Sunday and head for Frankfort.  Until then there is a beer waiting for me at the Cove.
Just a couple more pics, the tug is for Ron.



  

1 comment: